Thursday, June 21, 2012

My lifesavers

I live 30 minutes from my nearest family member and there are times when I just need that someone that is 2 minutes away that I can turn to for help.
It seems that in every ward I have lived in there has been that one or two people that I always feel comfortable just reaching out and asking for anything and they are totally willing to help.  In my first ward it was Valerie and Amanda.  Amanda would come over and make me dinner and just spend time with me when I was pregnant and sick with Levi and Rick worked full time and was a class all night.  She would watch Levi when I went visiting teaching.  She would go on walks with me and just cheer me up.  I could always call Valerie and just talk and ask advice.  She was my true friend when at first I knew no one.  She also helped with Levi at a moments notice.
In my second ward it was Joann and MaryAnn.  They were both mothers of older children and they were always genuinely willing to help me with anything.  I even remember when I was so sick with Ally in my first trimester the only thing that sounded good was Ramen noodles.  Yuck right?! ha ha.  Well I called Joann and she had her daughter run over a bag FULL of them.  That saved my life.  MaryAnn would watch Levi many times when I had RS Presidency meetings or just errands.  Joann would share the things she baked.  Rolls, bread, cookies, brownies.  She was always dropping off a bit of whatever treat she was making.  It always warmed my tummy and my heart.  I still see here every now and then and no matter how long it has been we can hug and it's like no time had passed. 
In my current ward I have so many people that look out for me and support me.  April... what can I not say about April?  She is kind, graceful, generous, positive.  My sister called me first thing this morning and asked if I could take a turn caring for my mother who is sick and is dealing with family things.  I got up and started getting ready.  Rick is switching jobs and HAD to be at work today, thus the question:  What is the world am I going to do with my two kids all day?  April came to mind.  She is one of my visiting teachers.  I remember when I first met my two visiting teachers, April and Annie, they said that if I ever needed anything to just ask.  Many people say that to you over the course of your life, but it is rare when you truely feel the love behind it and the sincerity of it.   Annie has watched the kids when I needed my hair done or took Levi a couple times when Ally was just born to give me a chance to take a nap.  April has been my last minute lifesaver.  Today I called her at 7am after I talked to my sister and asked if she could take just one of the kids.  I was going to ask another friend to take the other one (Jacquie is also a lifesaver for me).  She said she wanted to take BOTH!  I dropped them off half an hour later and with a huge smile on her face and a reassuring voice she brought them in and told me not to worry.  Now, here I sit.  I did the dishes and cleaned up the house.  I am just waiting for my mom to wake up to get her some breakfast and help her with whatever she needs and the best part... I know the kids are in good hands and that I don't have to worry.
Vicky is my backdoor neighbor and has two small children around Levi's age.  Since the very day we moved in she has ALWAYS been there for me.  She is also a very positive and generous person.  She and her husband, Josh, have helped us with sprinkler problems, house fixes, pest control, the kids, and everything else under the sun.  Both her and her husband are selfless and helping people.  There have been times I will be trying to do something myself that Rick really should be doing but he is at work and I am stubborn and I end up having Josh help me. ha ha.  I just laugh looking back at the last year and all the things he has helped us with because I was so naive. They are amazing and I am so glad to have neighbors like them. 
There are so many other people that I want to express my gratitude for because of all the things they have helped me with but there isn't enough time or room on this entire website to hold those thoughts and words.  Every single one of you, friends and family, know that each night I get on my knees and thank Heavenly Father for all the angels he has put in my life to guide and direct me and give me peace and comfort.  You have all been tools in His hands to bless my life.  I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I have lifesavers as well. So many of them. What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have them, too (including you)! It's funny how knowing I have lifesavers makes me want to be one the day I have my head on straight again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Well... what do you think?